High Score Episode 1
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! For more information about me and my reviews, click here for details on what I am reviewing.
Series Premise: High Score is a televised short anime series starting in November 2011, based on the comedy gag manga of the same name. Each episode is only three minutes long, with limited (Flash-style) animation. Megumi is the most beautiful girl in the school, but she’s also the most stuck up girl in school as well; along with her boyfriend Masamune, they always end up in trouble due to her self-centered behavior.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
Spoiler-free Series set-up: Megumi Fujiwara is incredibly beautiful and stylish, the top girl at her school…and she knows it. Completely in love with herself, she is totally stuck-up and selfish, looking down on all the dweebs and teasing all the boys, much to the annoyance of her long-suffering boyfriend Masamune. In the first episode she acts like a prick, Masamume beats up on some guys, the end.
My Impressions: Three minute-long anime deserves only three minutes of writing. So, set the stopwatch aaaaaaaaaaaand…go!
So, what’s the deal with all of these low-grade, limited animation shorts that seem to be popping up everywhere? I can think of at least half a dozen rearing their ugly heads in the past year or two, ranging in quality between unbearably, epically, awesomely bad (as in Haiyoru! Nyaru-ani or Tono to Issho) to just blah-unfunny, crappy bad (Double J, Plastic Nee-san, Honto ni Atta! Reibai Sensei, etc). I suspect the sudden rash of crappy shorts is simply because they are so cheap to make — the animation can be farted out in a weekend of work by a first-year animation student, and the only major expense would be the voice actor work.
Even so, not a single one is worth wasting even one minute on, and High Score is no exception. Just a few more non-funny “jokes” centering around unlikeable characters. Why do I even bother with this shit in the first place? I am going to have to re-consider how I review these types of shows in the future, because it’s just an exercise in futility.
Basically any review can be summed up in just two words: Don’t Bother.
- First episode on Youtube.
- Info resources:
- If you like this, you might also like: Double J or Honto ni Atta! Reibai Sensei.
Sampling of Online Reviews:
- “I’m getting very tired of having to review these utterly horrid flash shows that pop up more and more often. Is there really a market for these things? I mean, if they were good and all I’d still understand it, but this was the umpteenth flash show with terrible jokes. Potential: 0%.” – Star Crossed Anime Blog
- “Gotta say the first episode didn’t really sell me on the series but I really want to know more about this stuck in a table dude. He’s the weirdest thing I’ve seen in anime in a while so I’ll keep watching just for him.” – Oshii Anime
- “Just as I thought. It is Double J all over again, folks.” – Kaminari Anime
- “I recommend this anime 100% and its very unlikely to waste your time even if you don’t end up liking the anime because each episode is around 3 minutes.” – My Anime List
ROUND ONE RESULTS FOR THE FALL 2011 SHOWS:
Thumbs-up for Round One: Un-Go, Chibi Devi, Working Season 2, Bakuman Season 2, Mirai Nikki, Shinryaku Ika Musume Season 2, Ben-To, Chihayafuru, Guilty Crown, Phi-Brain, Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing, Fate Zero, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Hunter x Hunter, Tamayura Hitotose
Thumbs-down for Round One: Morita-san wa Mukuchi Season 2, Kimi to Boku, C3: CubexCursedxCurious, Mobile Suit Gundam AGE, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls, Shakugan no Shana Final, Mashiro-iro Symphony: The Color of Lovers, Persona 4: The Animation, Maken-ki, Cross Fight B-Daman, Digimon Xros Wars Season 2, High Score
Coming up next: Infinite Stratos OVA, Kyousougiga, Hidamari Sketch SP, Sengoku Paradise Kiwami, Gdgd Fairies, Sora no Kiseki, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai OVA, Lupin III Movie, Ao no Exorcist Special, Queen’s Blade Visual Book, Deadman Wonderland OVA, Toradora Special, Dragonball Z Episode of Bardock, R-15 OVA, Hoshizora e Kakaru OVA