Nichijou Episode 6
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! For more information about me and my reviews, click here for details on what I am reviewing.
Series Premise: Nichijou, or “My Ordinary Life”, is a weekly anime television series that started in April 2011, based on a comedy manga series by Keiichi Arawi. The story follows the everyday life and adventures of a few first-year high school students and the people around them, including an underage professor and her robotic maid, a goat-riding student and his butler, and other quirky characters.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
Episode Summary: Mio and Yuuko play a drawing and word game in class; While standing outside the classroom as punishment, she oversees the school principal in a mortal duel with a deer; Nano traps a cockroach under a bowl, but is too afraid to finish the job; The three girls go on an overnight camping trip where Mio and Yuuko destroy their dinner through their own klutziness.
My Impressions: The jokes themselves were not exceptionally funny, and sometimes they drag out the reactions way past when it should end. Yet, for some reason, I found myself giggling uncontrollably several times during this episode. It was funny…and I don’t know why. Even going over the episode a second time to capture the screen images, I lost it at the principal piledriving the deer, and Yuuko pulling out a deck of cards composed entirely of the ace of hearts. And you have to give it bonus points for incorporating advanced algebra into a joke. (Seriously, who does that?)
Then again, trying to *describe* humor is sort of like trying to explain vision to a blind man. We all have our own funny bones that can be tickled (after all, what else could possibly explain why some people find an idiot like Tyler Perry funny), and for some reason Nichijou seems to hit all the right notes this time around. Which is wonderful, since it wasn’t really doing it for me the last time around, nor before that, and I was considering dropping it. Sure, as an anthology-style format, it has its ups and downs, but for now I’m sticking around.
- My earlier reviews:
- Info resources:
- If you like this series, then you might also like: Azumanga Daioh or Lucky Star.
Sampling of Online Reviews:
- “I guess Nichijou needs more variety and balance. And by balance I mean DO NOT overuse Mai x Yuuko scenarios!! The simple remedy (or as I like to call it: The Simple Bear Necessities) is to kick Mai off the team. Seriously, she’s just too predictable: Mai does mean things to Yuuko, Yuuko goes full goofey-face, The End. Not funny.” – Sea Slugs
- “The most EPIC episode by far! And my favorite!! I think that I laughed so loud watching this but good thing it’s not late at night or I’d get yelled at hah. But anyway, the main point is that this episode rocked and if someone says else wise, then PFFT!” – Metanorn
- “Oh God, explosions galore, WTF-human-rockets and Helvetica Standard. Just how random can this get? I have a feeling that episodes are really getting better: more random, over-the-top and hilarious.” – The Neighbor’s Club
- “Nichijou narrowly avoided being dropped by me last week, only to sneak itself a reprieve via some slight improvements to its comedy output. What a good job I decided to carry on watching…Put simply, this sixth episode of Nichijou blows away everything the series has done previously, to offer up a laugh riot of well-built, realised and finished sketches.” – Hanners’ Anime Blog