Shinryaku Ika Musume Season 2 Episode 1
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! For more information about me and my reviews, click here for details on what I am reviewing.
Series Premise: Shinryaku Ika Musume, or “Invader Squid Girl”, is a weekly anime television series based on a comedy manga by Masahiro Anbe. The first 12-episode series aired during the Fall of 2010, and the second season started in October 2011. The story follows a young Squid Girl who is angered by humanity’s defiling the oceans, so she arrives on a beach one day to subjugate the human race. But she soon discovers she may have bitten off more than she can chew, and ends up working as a waitress in a small beach cafe as she continues to plan her eventual conquest.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
Spoiler-free set-up: Just like the first season, each episode of the second season involves three short stories featuring Ika Musume. In the first story, a lethargic Ika Musume is reminded of her original plans to conquer humanity, but soon becomes paranoid that all her friends are out to get her. In the second story, Kiyomi visits the Lemon Cafe with her friends, making Sanae extremely jealous. In the third story, jellyfish invade the beach, so the Lemon Cafe holds a contest to see who can clean up the most.
My Impressions: The first season of Shinryaku Ika Musume was definitely a hit, ranking as #5 on my Top Anime of 2010 list, so I had pretty high hopes for the second season as well. So, how did it fare?
Essentially nothing has changed – the first episode of the second season picks up right where the first season left off. It’s the same jokes, the same artwork, the same formula. It’s the same light-hearted humor that is all-ages friendly and does not rely on fart or poop jokes, does not involve embarrassing panty or boob shots, does not repeat the same tired old anime tropes. If you liked Squid Girl the first time around, chances are you’ll like the second season just the same. And that’s just fine with me.
Mind you, a few days ago I criticized first episode of Working Season 2 for not changing, not growing — so what is different with Shinryaku Ika Musume? The difference between the two is that the humor “worked” for the first season of Shinryaku Ika Musume, so I’m happy that nothing has changed. Besides, who would *want* little Ika Musume to change anyway? She’s just adorable the way she is!
Looking to the episode itself, it was actually kind of “meh”, not the strongest of jokes. Perhaps that could be attributed to the fact that they felt it was necessary to quickly re-introduce all the main characters, who all received some sort of screen time in one way or another. Oh well, I can live with that – a mediocre episode of Shinryaku Ika Musume is still better that most shows out there. However, I’m always concerned that they will fall back on repeating the same jokes we’ve seen before (I’m already sick of the M.I.T. Moron Trio).
Minor nitpick: As far as titles go, the first season was “Shinryaku! Ika Musume” while the second season is “Shinryaku!? Ika Musume”. Look – if it’s a second season, just call it a SECOND SEASON and leave it at that. Don’t add some cutesy extra punctuation like at question mark or apostrophe.
- Preview trailer on Youtube.
- Info resources:
- If you like this, you might also like: Possibly Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, but others say Sergeant Frog is a better fit.
Sampling of Online Reviews:
- “Antics ensue, shenanigans are brought about, and hilarity gets upped a few notches. Beyond that, this is just a good comedy that shouldn’t disappoint in its second run. Grade: 8/10.” – Jranafan
- “I’m glad to see that this episode was exactly like the ones from the previous season; given that I liked the last set so much, it’s a treat.” – Days of our Past Megaten Lives
- “I’ll definitely be watching though— it seems to have retained the sense of humor that made the first season so successful. Let’s just hope they don’t run out of jokes and use the same ones over and over again.” – Draggle’s Anime Blog
- “I guess it’s just because I haven’t seen the series in a while that the jokes seemed relatively fresh, but thinking back, a lot of the jokes this episode were variations on previous gags. In other words, there’s nothing really particularly new about this second season. Grade: 7/10.” – Emory Anime Club
- “Now to the important question – is it still funny? Short answer is yes. But I would say that the first episode (each ep of Ika Musume is actually three mini-episodes) is a step down from most of the first season.” – Lost in America
- “So, yeah, this wasn’t the most amazing episode ever like Hato said, but it did remind me of why I love to watch Ika Musume so much, because this series can be somewhat Nichijou like as far as the random comedy.” – Metanorn
- “The plot was clever and well-developed, the art was clean and breathtaking, and the characters are just as memorable as always. I always try not to get my hopes up when it comes to sequels, but it looks like Ika Musume is going to keep on truckin’ just fine. Grade: 4.5/5.” – Population GO
- “Squid Girl 2 appears to be nothing but a continuation of the first series. You could have fooled me and told me that this was an omitted episode because it it was so, so, so…similar. But, in that case, it’s not a bad thing. Considering how good the first series was when compared to normal comedy.” – Meeping Anime
- “It was still pretty funny, albeit nowhere near the best episodes of the first season, so we’re just going to have to wait to see whether this show has what it takes to remain funny…Nevertheless, the first signs of decay are starting to show. There are various jokes on the verge of being overused, and this episode did not shy away from them. Potential: 65%.” – Star Crossed Anime Blog
- “Turns out, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. I was having a great time watching it and each episode seems to bring on awesome new shenanigans. I’ll definitely check out season one soon.” – Anime Princess
ROUND ONE RESULTS FOR THE FALL 2011 SHOWS:
Thumbs-up for Round One: Un-Go, Chibi Devi, Working Season 2, Bakuman Season 2, Mirai Nikki, Shinryaku Ika Musume Season 2
Thumbs-down for Round One: Morita-san wa Mukuchi Season 2, Kimi to Boku, C3: CubexCursedxCurious
Coming up next: Mobile Suit Gundam AGE, Ben-To, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, Chihayafuru, Phi-Brain, Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing, Fate Zero, Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Shakugan no Shana III, Hunter x Hunter, Mashiro-iro Symphony, Tamayura Hitotose, Persona 4, Maken-ki, Cross Fight Bedaman, Digimon Xros Wars II