Chibi Devi Episode 1
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! For more information about me and my reviews, click here for details on what I am reviewing.
Series Premise: Chibi Devi is a five-minute-long weekly animated television series based on a shoujo comedy manga by Hiromu Shinozuka, started in October 2011. Honoka is a lonely middle school girl without friends, until one day she wakes up to find a baby in her bed…who also happens to be a devil.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
Spoiler-free set-up: Honoka Sawada is always being bullied by the other girls at her middle school. Not only does she not have any friends, she is also always alone whenever she is at home, too. One night after crying herself to sleep, she awakens to find that she is not alone in her bed. Under the covers there is a little baby boy named Mao. But this is not any ordinary baby, but a little devil baby complete with horns and a tail.
My Impressions: Can’t say that I was expecting much. Therefore, I was not disappointed.
It’s just one of those ultra-cute light shoujo comedies aimed at young girls/teens who have this idea that it would be really cool and fun to have a baby, a five minute diversion. But for what it is, it’s not that bad. Whenever I hear that an episode is only a couple minutes long, I immediately think the quality of the artwork and animation is going to be crap, based on previous experience. But for Chibi Devi, it was definitely decent, along the same level of quality I expect from, say Kodomo no Omocha or Yumeiro Patisserie. The story itself is cute and inoffensive — think Beelzebub if it was written and conceived by a ten-year-old girl.
So, do I think Chibi Devi is a great show? Well, for the target audience, I suppose it could be entertaining. And when I compare it against the long list of shows that I have given the thumbs-down in the past, it’s better than most. So, it gets a pass for now.
- Entire first episode on Youtube.
- Info resources:
- If you like this, you might also like: Daa Daa Daa, or Baby and Me.
Sampling of Online Reviews:
- “The five minute time limit actually works in favor with a series like this, because if it was a full 30 minutes I’m afraid the world might implode from so much concentrated idiocy. I suppose this series is “cute” but it’s cute in an almost annoying, diabetes-inducing way. In the end, I was still somewhat entertained. I also laughed a bit; but probably for all the wrong reasons. Grade: 2/5.” – Moeronpan
- “Chibi☆Devi! is not cute and I figure it will just gets more annoying as it progresses. So there ya go, I’m dropping this shit. Grade: 3.2/10.” – Conspicuous Klux
- “It’s funny, but sadly not funny enough to really make the show watchable. Add some truly unoriginal art, and you’ve got a show I’ll pass on.” – Ani.me
- “Just… what the hell was that supposed to be? This was… so bad that it became hilarious again. This episode was five minutes long, and it featured some of the worst animation and most wooden characterization of the entire season. Potential: 0%” – Star Crossed Anime Blog
ROUND ONE RESULTS FOR THE FALL 2011 SHOWS:
Thumbs-up for Round One: Un-Go, Chibi Devi
Thumbs-down for Round One: None yet.
Coming up next: Morita-san wa Mukuchi Season 2, Working Season 2, Bakuman Season 2, Mirai Nikki, Kimi to Boku, C3, Shinryaku Ika Musume Season 2, Mobile Suit Gundam AGE, Ben-To, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, Chihayafuru, Phi-Brain, Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing, Fate Zero, Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Shakugan no Shana III, Hunter x Hunter, Mashiro-iro Symphony, Tamayura Hitotose, Persona 4, Maken-ki, Cross Fight Bedaman, Digimon Xros Wars II