Tantei Opera Milky Holmes OVA
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! For more information about me and my reviews, click here for details on what I am reviewing.
Series Premise: Tantei Opera Milky Holmes is a televised anime series that aired in the fall of 2010, featuring four young color-coded girls attending the Sherlock Detective Academy. Together, they form a team using their special powers to try and solve crimes, but more often than not getting into more trouble along the way. In August 2011, a one-shot “Summer Special” OVA was released of the series.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: Kokoro becomes an idol singer; It’s a melange of bright colors, frenetic action and tongue-in-cheek dialogue, enough to cause seizures.
Spoiler-free Episode Summary: The four young girls of the Sherlock Detective Agency bust in to save the kidnapped Kokoro, only to find her happily singing karaoke. After not receiving the attention she feels she deserves, Kokoro then decides to quit the police force and become an idol singer, under the guidance of Irene. As she becomes astoundingly popular, she discovers she misses her previous life; not only that, but the other girls realize they miss her, too. Enter Henriette, who stages a big heist during one of Kokoro’s concerts, forcing them all into action…and hopefully a reunion!
Back in October of last year, I reviewed the first episode of the first television season, and pretty much savaged it. Boy, did I miss the boat completely. My mistake is that I actually took it seriously, when was just too narrow-minded at the time to realize that this show is really one big parody of itself and the magical girl team genre. Once you understand that everything is nothing more than a joke, it makes perfect sense.
This Original Video Animation points that out perfectly, going so over-the-top that it’s impossible to miss the gobsmacking ridiculousness of the situation. My god, Milky Holmes is *insane*, with the cliche-to-the-max girls running all over the place, along with
the cast of Geobreeders another group of just-as-cliche police girls going up against the cliche-as-fuck villains in their awesomely crazy outfits, spouting off some of the most purple lines of dialogue as the action whips around them.
Yeah, consider myself trolled. I didn’t get the original intent of the whole series in the first place. Now I get it. Ha ha.
But even if I get the “joke”, that still does not mean that Milky Holmes is worth watching. Most of the jokes just fell flat, and they were just throwing stuff at you on the screen left and right, so much going on it became painful to watch. Not clever enough by half. Even so, it’s an improvement…I guess. When I took Milky Holmes seriously, I thought it was terrible, just terrible. But now that I view it as a massive joke, it’s…just not very good, that’s all. Maybe this could work as an epic drinking game. Oh well, better luck next time.
- Online preview on Youtube.
- Info resources: My Anime List, Anime News Network, AniDB, and Wikipedia.
- If you like this, you might also like: Galaxy Angel or Puni Puni Poemy.
Sampling of Online Reviews:
- “For Milky Holmes standards, it could have been better, but it wasn’t bad. It wasn’t as full of lulz as I remembered the series being, but it still had the same high energy and quirkiness as usual. One thing about Milky Holmes that I always liked was how it wasn’t afraid to just get weird, and it really showed here that the creators are just as insane as usual.” – Sekijitsu
- “This… was bizarre. It’s pretty much the same as the series, which is a good thing Its high energy just kept on going and going, with surprisingly good animation. It was incredibly cheesy, but knew it and played that for laughs, which worked nicely. Grade: 8/10.” – Star Crossed Anime Blog
- “This could of been a lot worse, considering there have been far bigger facepalm moments in this series. But at the same time, I still wish this show would do as it was advertised to do. Four cute moe school girls solving mysteries with superpowers. That’s all this needs to be, not some run of the mill comedy show. I think what hurts the most is that the villains in this show are very likable and even have moments where they are kinda cool, but they don’t have anyone to fight them and it feels like a waste of four good characters. ” – Anime Movie Review
ROUND ONE RESULTS FOR SUMMER 2011 SHOWS:
Thumbs-up for Round One: Busou Shinki: Moon Angel, Blood-C, Mawaru Penguindrum, Kamisama Dolls, No. 6, Dantalian no Shoka, Uta no Prince-sama, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Nekogami Yaoyorozu, Kamisama no Memochou, Nurarihyon no Mago Season 2, Natsume Yuujinchou Season 3, Usagi Drop
Thumbs-down for Round One: Double J, Morita-san wa Mukuchi, Mayo Chiki, Nyanpire the Animation, Carnival Phantasm, Copihan, Yuruyuri, The Idolmaster, Sacred Seven, Manyuu Hikenchou, Blade, Higurashi no Naku Koko no Kira, Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi, Twin Angel Twinkle Paradise, Baby Princess 3D: Paradise Love, Rou Kyuu Bu, The World God Only Knows OVA, Sorette Dakara Ne!, Gensou Mangekyou: Memories of Phantasm, Astarotte no Omocha EX, R-15, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Season 2, Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai OVA, Tantei Opera Milky Holmes OVA
Coming up next: All done! Now time to move on to the second round!