The K-On God Only Knows OVA
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! For more information about me and my reviews, click here for details on what I am reviewing.
Series Premise: The World God Only Knows is an anime series based on a popular manga series of the same name. In 2010 there was a 12-episode season, followed by a second 12-episode season in 2011. Keima is a high school student and social outcast who is an expert at “gal games”. After accepting a challenge from the devil, he now has to put his expertize to real life, “capturing” his classmates with the help of a demon assistant, Elsie. In September, 2011, there was a one-shot story released as a nOriginal Video Animation, “4 Girls and an Idol”.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: K-On rewarmed over; Another TWGOK subpar effort.
Spoiler-free Episode Summary: The girls from the series decide to form a rock band, but they are inexperienced and sound awful. They ask their teacher to form an after-school music club, but he only agrees if they all get 100% on their next big test. Elsie drags in Keima to help them study against his will, leading to various awkward situations.
My Impressions: Sorry for the slacking on posting reviews; kidney stones are a bitch.
In short, this is essentially K-On with the cast of World God Only Knows awkwardly shoved in to play the roles. No, really — I don’t mean that it is like K-On, I mean that it really is K-On. In fact, they very specifically mention that they are trying to copycat the anime show in the episode itself. It’s downright embarrassing.
The World God Only Knows is a series that I tried to watch…and then dropped. When the second series came around, I gave it another try…and then dropped again. As such, I had *some* familiarity with the characters and the story, but also very low expectations. Sure enough, this met up with those low expectations, and does not add anything new to the story at all. It’s more or less just another episode of the series, piggybacking on the popularity of K-On as a hook.
One of the main problems of the regular series itself is that the main character, Keima, is one of the most unlikeable and annoying leads in the world of anime. Thankfully, he takes somewhat of a backseat in this episode as a side character to the passel of girls. However, that’s not much of an improvement since none of the girls themselves stand out. Which ultimately leads to a pretty boring and tedious affair.
If you’re already a fan of the series, then you’re going to be watching this anyway. But if you’re not a fan of the series to begin with, then there’s no point in watching this.
- Opening video sequence on Youtube.
- Info resources: My Anime List, Anime News Network, AniDB, and Wikipedia.
- If you like this, you might also like: Nyan Koi or Amagami SS
Sampling of Online Reviews:
- “This was a really nice, lazy OVA. It never dragged or felt forced. Much like the series the production team really know their pacing, which is a gold star to anyone who suffers from chronic bad pacing in their anime. So I appreciated that. On the whole, though – it was just fun. Which is what TWGOK is all about.” – Metanorn
- “I’d say it was mostly on par with what we’ve seen in the two seasons, although the lack of Keima and the subsequent straightness of the show, really highlights what a great leading character he is.” – Moe Monster
- “Chihiro is… the Ritsu of TWGOK. Honestly, she doesn’t really stand out that much. Even though she’s the driving force behind this whole OVA. But what I did like in this OVA is her interactions with Ayumi. The two of them have so much chemistry.” – How I Met Your Otaku
- “K-ON! meets TWGOK…and oddly, I am okay with this. Grade: 8/10.” – Sekijitsu
- “This episode was fairly tolerable because three of its core characters were some of the best characters in the series (including that random side-character who popped up). Elcie however still is a huge pain to watch. Being a moron is one thing, of course, but this girl feels like she had her head lobotomized. ” – Star Crossed Anime Blog
- “All in all, the OVA reinvigorated my love for Kami Nomi. The second season was really good, and this OVA only makes me want a third season that much more.” – Random Curiosity
ROUND ONE RESULTS FOR SUMMER 2011 SHOWS:
Thumbs-up for Round One: Busou Shinki: Moon Angel, Blood-C, Mawaru Penguindrum, Kamisama Dolls, No. 6, Dantalian no Shoka, Uta no Prince-sama, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Nekogami Yaoyorozu, Kamisama no Memochou, Nurarihyon no Mago Season 2, Natsume Yuujinchou Season 3, Usagi Drop
Thumbs-down for Round One: Double J, Morita-san wa Mukuchi, Mayo Chiki, Nyanpire the Animation, Carnival Phantasm, Copihan, Yuruyuri, The Idolmaster, Sacred Seven, Manyuu Hikenchou, Blade, Higurashi no Naku Koko no Kira, Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi, Twin Angel Twinkle Paradise, Baby Princess 3D: Paradise Love, Rou Kyuu Bu, The World God Only Knows OVA
Coming up next: Sorette Dakara Ne!, Gensou Mangekyou: Memories of Phantasm, Astarotte no Omocha EX, R-15, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Season 2, Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai OVA, Tantei Opera Milky Holmes OVA