Yumekui Merry Episode 7
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! For more information about me and my reviews, click here.
Series Premise: Yumekui Merry, a.k.a. “Dream Eater Merry” is a 13-part weekly television series that aired between January and April 2011, based on fantasy manga series by Ushiki Yoshitaka. Since an event ten years ago, Yumeji has had the ability to see others’ auras and predict their dreams, but has also been tormented with the same dream involving cats. One day a dream demon named Merry falls on top of him; and while she searches for her own way back to the world of dreams and nightmares, they must also prevent nightmares’ attempts to enter the waking life of the real world.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: Yumeji and Merry visit the beach; Throw-away filler episode.
Episode Summary: Yumeji, Merry, and everyone they know spend the day at the beach. While their friends play in the surf, Merry gets all introspective about what she has learned about her actions. A young boy enters a daydream and his dream demon gets crushed by Mystletainn. Yumeji once again reaffirms his support for a wavering Merry.
My Impressions: I suppose it was inevitable. One of the most over-used standards in anime series these days is the throw-away beach/hot springs/vacation episode. Usually there’s no point to the episode, other than to provide meaningless fan service and a little fun. How common is this phenomenon? Here’s a list of several dozen examples.
While I don’t necessarily have anything against the concept, I *do* have a problem when the series is a scant 12 episodes long, and the plot is stalled. Wasting precious time on eye candy that does nothing to advance the plot when time is short? Feh. I suspect you could avoid this episode completely and not miss a thing in the long run.
For more information:
- My earlier reviews: Episode 1 (April 11), Episode 2 (May 25), Episode 3 (July 1), Episode 4 (July 29), Episode 5 (August 18), Episode 6 (September 8)
- Info resources: My Anime List, Anime News Network, AniDB, and Wikipedia
- Licensed for distribution in the United States by Sentai Filmworks, but no scheduled release date yet.
Sampling of Online Reviews:
- “Merry and Yumeji… they’re a great lead couple. This episode again showed that even within an episode with such a badly overused premise of going to the beach with half the cast, the chemistry between them remains rock-solid. The past seven episodes have done wonders developing the trust between them, and seeing them play off of it really saved this episode for me. Grade: Enjoyable.” – Star Crossed Anime Blog
- “Oh great, a beach episode… when was the last time one of these ever had a point? It’s just a poor excuse to shoe-horn in some wet girls in swimsuits. Classy… It’s a shame they have to ruin a decent show with D-Grade fanservice.” – Metanorn
- “This episode did a pretty decent job with showcasing just how much the relationship between Merry and Yumeji has grown…For a beach episode, this week’s installment of Yumekui Merry was actually pretty decent, especially with the introduction of another evil dream demon hinting at more stuff to come. Grade: 4.0/5.” – Emory Anime Club
- “Watch this simply to watch it. There isn’t a ton of substance that is monumental to the plot.” – The Otaku’s Blog
Coming up next from the Winter 2011 Season: Gosick Episode 7, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Episode 7, Level E Episode 7