Nyanpire the Animation Episode 1
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! For more information about me and my reviews, click here for details on what I am reviewing.
Series Premise: Nyanpire: The Animation is a televised anime series started in July 2011, based on a dojinshi by Yukiusa. A small black cat is saved from death by a vampire, and now lives with its human owner, Misaki. Aimed at a younger audience, each episode is less than five minutes long.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: Cute kitten likes to drink red things. Yup, that’s pretty much it.
Episode Summary: A tiny black cat is about to die, when saved by a passing vampire that resurrects it with a drop of blood. Now known as Nyanpire, the cat now lives with its human owner, Misaki. The cat is hungry and begs for food, then discovers the refrigerator contains “red things”. After drinking some ketchup and orange soda, Misaki gives Nyanpire a bloody fish…which the cat thinks is “fishy”.
My Impressions: Well, this does have *two* things going for it: It’s cute. Also, it’s about three minutes long. ….aaaaand, that’s about all the positive things I can say about this show.
Why did I ever think this could be interesting? Inoffensive at best, boring at its worst, what does it say about the show when the minute-and-a-half live-action music video at the end is more entertaining than the main feature?
Hell, I’d even find an endless loop of Nyan Cat more entertaining:
Okay…had enough yet? Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.
- First Episode on Youtube.
- Info resources: My Anime List, Anime News Network, AniDB, and Wikipedia
- If you like this, you might also like: Higepiyo, and maybe Kogepan.
Sampling of Online Reviews:
- “I will judge the show however on its commercial merits, which turn out to be complete shit. Again I am not a cat, so my opinion is biased. They could have made Nyanpire an edgy little four-minute show and targeted it at a more mature demographic, like say, eight year-olds, instead of four year-olds.” – Moe Monster
- “I have no idea how can this shit be a big hit for someone. Grade: 6/10.” – Conspicuous Klux
- “FINE. YOU WERE ALL RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG! It’s going to take a long time for my ego to recover after taking such a blow. ;D” – Sekijitsu
- “Gonzo is back! Unfortunately, I do have to say that this is Bad Gonzo. This was just… very poorly produced and it looks more like the commercial for a crappy j-pop band. Potential: 0%” – Star Crossed Anime Blog
- “In the end, watching an episode solely for a single joke or two just isn’t worth it. At least Double-J tries to be creative with it’s jokes, here it’s just very plain. Grade: 3.5/10.” – Emory Anime Club
- “Kyaa~ It’s insanely cute!! I love the sound whenever it walks!! I love how cute it is! We need whole episodes of this though… 3 minutes isn’t enough~ OuO Nyanpire is so adorable!!” – Anime Evo
- “It was cute……..for about a minute, and then quickly became boring, hopefully once a few more characters get introduced the show won’t be so meh.” – Caraniel’s Ramblings
- “Did I mention this episode is a whopping four and a half minutes? Go watch it if you like cute things. It’s funny, cute, and might even make you smile.” – Angry Anime Bitches
- “It’s perhaps unfair to judge Nyanpire the Animation as a full show, but if you’re going to advertise it as one, it needs more of a kick than this weak effort. Grade: 7/25.” – AniMaybe
ROUND ONE RESULTS FOR SUMMER 2011 SHOWS:
Thumbs-up for Round One: Busou Shinki: Moon Angel, Blood-C, Mawaru Penguindrum, Kamisama Dolls
Thumbs-down for Round One: Double J, Morita-san wa Mukuchi, Mayo Chiki, Nyanpire the Animation
Coming up next: Carnival Phantasm, Copihan, Yuruyuri, No. 6, Sacred Seven, Dantalian no Shoka, Uta no Prince-sama, The Idolmaster, Manyuu Hikenchou, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Kamisama no Memochou, Nekogami Yaoyorozu, Nurarihyon no Mago Second Season, Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi, Twin Angel Twinkle Paradise, Baby Princess 3-D, Natsume Yuujinchou-san, Usagi Drop, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Second Season, Rou Kyuu Bu, R-15