Morita-san wa Mukuchi Episode 1
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! For more information about me and my reviews, click here for details on what I am reviewing.
Series Premise: Morita-san wa Mukuchi, or “Morita is Silent” is a weekly television anime series starting in July 2011, each episode about three minutes in length. Mayu Morita is a normal high school student, except that she is so careful in choosing her words that she often ends up saying nothing, which invariably gets misinterpreted by her classmates.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: Morita says nothing. The end.
Episode Summary: Mayu Morita is engaged in a conversation with one of her classmates, who is talking up a storm. Dutifully following the advice of her mother, Morita politely maintains eye contact and listens to everything that is said, but before she has a chance to respond her friend runs off. Later that day, her friend is talking to her and Morita is agonizing over how to respond; but her explains how she is such a great friend because she always listens to what she has to say.
My Impressions: I was so pleasantly surprised to learn this was only three minutes in length, I was worried I would have to sit through twenty minutes of nothing.
This is not my first run-in with Morita; I reviewed the Original Video Animation that preceded this regular series back in April, and gave it a solid thumbs-down.. So, what has changed between now and then? I *think* the quality of the animation has improved from “below average” to “average”. Um. That’s about it.
The original problem encountered in the OVA is the exact same problem here: Morita-san is a one-trick pony. There is exactly one joke. An unfunny, painfully awkward joke at that. The entire series is centered around the titular character never saying a word. Yeah, that’s probably good for a single joke. Now try to extend that into an entire series.
And that’s about all I have to say about Morita-san. Because if nothing happens, then there’s nothing worth writing about.
Mind you, that does not make this the worst show in the world. There’s nothing offensive or insulting about this. Just terribly *boring*. As far as sins go, that’s a fairly minor one in today’s anime world.
- 30-second preview commercial on Youtube.
- Info resources: My Anime List, Anime News Network, AniDB, and Wikipedia
- If you like this, you might also like: Sketchbook: Full Colors.
Sampling of Online Reviews:
- “The “jokes” just fell flat, the characters were one-dimensional, and at the end of the day I was just left wondering why they even bothered. Is anyone actually watching this?” – Sekijitsu
- “I can endure this show only because it is only took 3 minutes of my time and the fact that the other characters that surround her make up for what she’s lacking. Grade: 5/10.” – Conspicuous Klux
- “I barely had any time to put on my “I hate this but will suffer through it anyway” face!” – Caraniel’s Ramblings
- “Honestly, this series probably isn’t even worth my time. Heck, I bet I spent more time writing this post than watching the episode. The humor is lacking, and the short episode length just adds flames to the fire. Grade: 3.5/10.” – Emory Anime Club
- “Its comedic timing misses the mark completely and the characters are just one-dimensional stereotypes who are entirely dominated by their quirk. It had its charms and at least this was much more bearable than the OVA, but I still fail to see the point in watching this. Potential: 10%” – Star Crossed Anime Blog
- “This isn’t the worst 210 seconds of your life, but you could be doing so much more with it. Grade: 7/25.” – AniMaybe
ROUND ONE RESULTS FOR SUMMER 2011 SHOWS:
Thumbs-up for Round One: Busou Shinki: Moon Angel, Blood-C, Mawaru Penguindrum
Thumbs-down for Round One: Double J, Morita-san wa Mukuchi
Coming up next: Mayo Chiki, Kamisama Dolls, Nyanpire the Animation, Carnival Phantasm, Copihan, Yuruyuri, No. 6, Sacred Seven, Dantalian no Shoka, Uta no Prince-sama, The Idolmaster, Manyuu Hikenchou, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Kamisama no Memochou, Nekogami Yaoyorozu, Nurarihyon no Mago Second Season, Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi, Twin Angel Twinkle Paradise, Baby Princess 3-D, Natsume Yuujinchou-san, Usagi Drop, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Second Season, Rou Kyuu Bu, R-15