Pokemon Ranger: Paths of Light Episode 1
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! — In addition to taking a look at the first episode of every show from the Spring 2011 anime season that has been subtitled and giving it a thumbs-up or thumbs-down, I am also going back and cleaning up loose ends for shows from 2010 I may have missed or have recently become available. For more information about me and my reviews, click here.
Series Premise: Pokemon Ranger is a video game released in 2007 in Japan, and the “Paths of Light” is a special 2-part web special set in the same game setting, released in February 2010. The story follows a young Pokemon Ranger as he fights against Pokemon poachers.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: Rookie Ranger fights poachers and fails; And the point of this short special is….?
Episode Summary: Natsuki is a young boy who has just become a Pokemon Ranger, vowing to protect the Pokemon. He is given his first mission to find and suppress a ring of Pokemon kidnappers on Oblivia Island, and to help him in his task he captures a local Mukuhawk. He confronts the poachers, but is defeated and thrown onto a deserted island, where he comes across a Pichu with a guitar, which he promptly decides to capture.
My Reaction: This is just a five-minute short, so there’s not exactly a lot of room for plot or development, and I assume this is an introduction to the video game. One thing that I find supremely ironic is that the Ranger is sent to prevent a group of nefarious people flying around on levitating rings from capturing and controlling Pokemon. Yet, the very first thing Natsuki does himself is capture and control his own Pokemon (using a spinning top that emerges from something on his wrist, eh)! Do as I say, not as I do? I’m sure those Pokenerds out there could explain why one version of putting Pokemon in bondage is okay, while the other is not…but as an outsider looking in to the world of Pokemon, I find it…odd.
Meh. I have nothing specifically against Pokemon (hey, I gave the last feature-length movie I watch a weak thumbs-up even!), but this is just a pointless short that doesn’t seem to go anywhere.
- Videos and Previews:
- Sorry, no video for this anime I could find. Instead, enjoy Maru happily in a box half his size on Youtube, you’ll be infinitely more entertained.
- Additional Info Resources:
- Official United States Licensing Information:
- For the video? No, but you can play the game on your Nintendo DS.
- A Sampling of the Blog-Roll of Reviews:
- “As the main purpose of this short web anime is the propagation of the game, there really is nothing for you to enjoy in this special, unless you played to game. But, wait … I played the game and I still think that this special is absolutely pointless. The game itself is much more fun than this, so do yourself some favor and don’t watch this, just play the game. Grade: 25%.” – Steeldude’s Blog
- That’s all I could find!