Fujilog Episode 1
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! — I’m taking a look at the first episode of every show from the Spring 2011 anime season that has been subtitled, and giving it a thumbs-up or thumbs-down. For more information about me and my reviews, click here.
Series Premise: Osama Fujiyama is a 33-year-old NEET living at home with his mother, grandfather and other long-suffering family members. Fujilog is a 13-part comedy series of four-minute-long anime short episodes, debuting in April 2011.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: Unemployed Osama runs for government office; Short, low-quality series with a certain charm.
Episode Summary: Osama Fujiyama is a 33-year-old good-for-nothing NEET “Not in Education, Employment, or Training”, living at home much to the annoyance of his long-suffering mother and grandfather. As she pesters him about getting a job, he starts to list off all the positive things about his local prefecture. And since Osama is not really doing anything, why not run for office? After a campaign that centers on his prefecture seceding from Japan, he only gets three votes.
My Reaction: Even though this came out back in April, the first episode was only recently subtitled by a group in Russia that focuses on obscure, unusual and largely unknown anime shows. Most of them are crap, of course, but I give them major props for tackling what everyone else is ignoring. And every once in a while something interesting may pop up, and Fujilog is *potentially* one of those shows.
As far as the animation goes, it’s a very low budget affair, with simple character drawings with basic computer animation — Fujilog isn’t going to earn any points for the character designs, the artwork, or the animation. As for the story, well, it’s only four minutes long (including opening and closing), so there’s only time to briefly introduce three of the main characters: Osama, Mom and Grandpa. And it’s really just one long joke at that. But there’s a certain kind of charm to this, perhaps it’s the comedic timing, perhaps it’s the crackerjack voice acting by Osama, but I sorta-kinda liked this. It’s less of an anime series and more like a sitcom, really. Or perhaps more like one short skit segment on a network comedy troupe program.
Only one episode subtitled so far, and the group that is subtitling it will often only tackle the first episode (as a sample), so no guarantees that a second episode will be available in English in the near future. But I’m willing to give it a pass to the next round. It was popular enough to receive a second season in Japan, though.
- Videos and Previews:
- Watch it unsubtitled on Youtube.
- Additional Info Resources:
- Official United States Licensing Information:
- Don’t count on it.
- A Sampling of the Blog-Roll of Reviews:
- “I encourage people to check out this show. It is funny and unique. I’m looking forward to the release of future episodes, including meeting Osamu’s sister and her family. ” – Abandoned Factory Anime
- That’s it for online reviews!
SPRING 2011 ROUND ONE RESULTS!
- First Episodes from the Spring 2011 Season receiving a thumbs-up: Steins;Gate, Deadman Wonderland, Hanasaku Iroha, Dog Days, Moshidora, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, Tiger and Bunny, Fireball Charming, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, A Channel, Sengoku Otome: Time Paradox, Nichijou, Yondemasu-yo Azazel-san, C – The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, X-Men, Blue Exorcist, Kaiji Season 2, Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari, Detective Conan OVA 11: A Secret Order from London, Kung Fu Cooking Girls, Fujilog
- First Episodes from the Spring 2011 Season receiving a thumbs-down: Sket Dance, Softenni, Happy Kappi, Astarotte’s Toy, Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera, Inazuma Eleven Go, Hidan no Aria, Suzy’s Zoo Daisuki Witzy, Seikon no Qwaser Season 2, The World God Only Knows Season 2, Toriko, Maria Holic Alive, 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku, Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai, Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream, Fairy Tail OVA, Plastic Nee-san, Yu-Gi-Oh: Zexal, Nana to Kaoru OVA, Shukufuku no Campanella OVA, Gintama, Tono to Issho: Gantai no Yabou, Hen Zemi, Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi, Honto ni Atta Reibai Sensei, Senjou no Valkyria 3, Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA, Amagami SS OVA, Katte ni Kaizou, Digimon Xros Wars Season 2, Seibu Tetsudou Ekiin Tako-chan, Highschool of the Dead OVA, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt OVA
- Coming up next (in this order – 55 down, 2 to go!): Appleseed XIII and Asobi ni Iku yo OVA..and then it’s time for the Spring 2011 Round One Wrap-Up!