Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Episode 5
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! For more information about me and my reviews, click here.
Series Premise: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, or “Puella Magi Madoka Magica”, is a twelve-part weekly television series aired between January and April 2011, and original series developed for television. Madoka is your average middle school girl, until one day she is approached by a magical familiar, to form a pact to become a “magical girl” and fight the forces of evil and darkness. But despite normal “magical girl” stories, it doesn’t turn out to be all happiness and friendship, bright shiny colors and sparklies; instead, Madoka finds herself dealing with such angst-filled issues as death, suicide, isolation and murders.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: Sayaka has no regrets, but Madoka has enough for both of them; Oh boy, bitch fight!
Episode Summary: Madoka is concerned about Sayaka’s decision, but she outwardly seems at peace with her decision as she visits her friend in the hospital now that he has a “miraculous” recovery. Madoka seeks help from Homura, who only cautions her to forget about Sayaka. That night, Madoka joins Sayaka on a witch hunt, but ends up battling Kyouko, another magical girl who is only concerned about harvesting fully matured grief seeds. They fight and Kyouko quickly gets the upper hand, Madoka is about to form a contract with Kyubey to intercede when Homura arrives.
My Impressions: Oh, Sayaka seems so confident and sure about her decision to become a magical girl, but does anyone else get the feeling that it’s sort of a plastered-on smile and she’s trying to convince herself most of all? Just what exactly has Sayaka truly given up to make her one dream come true? I mean, we’ve already seen that becoming a magical girl is not all puppies and rainbows, and I have this dreaded feeling that another shoe is yet to drop as we learn more about the true nature of magical girls.
On the surface, it would be easy to dismiss Madoka’s concern over Sayaka as watching a long-time friend move beyond her, just out of reach. But it’s more than that, as Madoka is still crushed over the death of Mami and fears for her friend’s very existence. Homura’s seeming ambivalence doesn’t help matters, but it’s hard to fault her attitude as a hardened veteran. I know that I’ve made the comparison before, but I see her similar to Isako from Dennou Coil, with all of the appearances of an adversary…until you get to know her motivations.
Oh, and Kyubey, you tricky, manipulative little bitch! Looking in from the outside you can see how it’s pitting the girls against each other (for what reason?), and still tweaking Madoka into forming a contract. Nothing overtly evil, but just what is that creature up to?
The verdict: – Lovin’ it!
For more information:
- My earlier reviews: Episode 1 (April 16), Episode 2 (May 28), Episode 3 (July 9), Episode 4 (August 4)
- Info resources: My Anime List, Anime News Network, AniDB, and Wikipedia
- The series has recently been licensed by Aniplex, no scheduled release date.
Sampling of Online Reviews:
- “Sugar, spice, and everything nice — I don’t think any of these things are actually used to make a Mahou Shoujo. It’s more like deceit, despair, and lies! After watching just how Kyubei turns a normal girl into a Mahou Shoujo, something just felt wrong with the whole process…I wasn’t sure what a Mahou Shoujo’s purpose was anymore. ” – Random Curiosity
- “At this point I feel as if anything could happen. We’ve already gotten a death of one of the main cast, and now we’ve even got infighting amongst the Mahou Shoujo. Not to mention, Kyubei is staying quiet about how HE KNEW that the new girl would try and attack Sayaka. And not to mention, Madoka still hasn’t turned into a Mahou Shoujo. This certainly could prove to get even more interesting from here on out, which sure as hell should be something to look forward to. Grade: 4.1/5.” – Emory Anime Club
- “I absolutely loved the action this episode. The animation was so unique all together as usual, I loved it! I find it rather interesting how their wish gets granted the moment they agree to become a Puella, well considering they are to be magical girls for the rest of their lives, I suppose that’s only normal. ” – Angry Anime Bitches
- “She did have a good point in this episode, though: becoming a mahou shoujo, just to protect others is a very shallow reason: in order to remain strong enough to protect innocent people, you need to collect the grief seeds, which can only be collected after a witch had a meal on some innocent people. It’s a vicious cycle, and Sayaka doesn’t really seem to understand this. Sayaka really is a ticking time bomb at this point. Grade: Excellent.” – Star Crossed Anime Blog
Coming up next (not necessarily in this order): Level E Episode 5, Broken Blade Episode 5, My Little Sister Can’t Be This Cute Episode 14, Detective Conan OVA 11, Kung Fu Cooking Girls, Appleseed XIII Episode 1, Asobi ni Iku yo OVA, K-On Season 2 Episode 27, Fate Stay/Night TV Reproduction Episode 1, Pokemon Ranger Power of Light Episode 1, Hetalia Paint It White Movie, Je t’Aime, Karigurashi no Arrietty Movie, Out of Sight, Naruto Shippuuden The Lost Tower, Kaichou was Maid-sama Episode 27, Senkou no Night Raid Special, Shiki Episode 21.5, Pokemon Best Wishes Episode 1, You Are Umasou Movie, Heartcatch Precure Movie, Armored Trooper Votoms: Case;Irvine, Fractale Episode 6, Hourou Musuko Episode 6, Yumekui Merry Episode 6, Gosick Episode 6