Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA Special
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! — I’m taking a look at the first episode of every show from the Spring 2011 anime season that has been subtitled, and giving it a thumbs-up or thumbs-down. For more information about me and my reviews, click here.
Series Premise: Seitokai Yakuindomo, or “Best Student Council” is a 13-episode comedy anime show that aired during the Summer of 2010, based on a manga series of the same name. Tsuda begins his first day of school at Ousai Academy, which only went co-ed this year. As one of only a handful of male students he is immediately outnumbered, and before he can even set foot inside he is targeted by the student president, Shino. After berating him, she immediately strong-arms him into joining the student council, alongside the diminutive treasurer Suzu and the easy-going Aria. As the token hapless male student body representative, he gets stuck in the middle of all sorts of ridiculous situations as the rest of the student council runs all over him. A special 14th episode was released on DVD in April, 2011.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: Sex joke, sex joke, sex joke, short-person joke, sex joke, sex joke…sigh…sex joke…
Episode Summary: It’s the start of a new school year, and the members of the student council are back together for another round of hijinx. There isn’t a story or a plot, just a series of short jokes lasting from a few seconds to up to a minute in length, including: the student president resisting an urge to flip up her skirt, a tour of the best locations to have sex in the school, a vibrator joke, an erogenous zone joke, short jokes…mostly assorted sex jokes, except when the midget is around then it’s all about how short she is.
My Reaction: Wait a minute, haven’t I watched this show before? Why yes, I have! Back in July of last year, I checked out the first episode and gave it a solid thumbs-down. Not that it was a terrible show, but it was just one rapid-fire joke about sexual innuendo after another, usually fairly crass ones at that, and many more misses than hits. Just not my cuppa tea.
So here we are a year later with a special OVA that was bundled with a manga release, and is billed as the “14th episode” of the series, set one year later. In situations such as this (as well as the upcoming Amagami SS special, and the Asobi ni Iku yo special, both of which I’ll be reviewing soon), I use it as an opportunity to re-visit the show to see if I made a rash judgment in dropping it too early. Hey, that’s what happened to Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu — dropped the series after the first episode, then some time later watched the OVA special, and decided to go back and give the series another whirl.
Returning back one year later for a second spin, so what do I think? Nothing has changed. Nothing. It’s the same lame jokes, the same lame characters, the same fourteen-year-old-level humor. Yup, I was right to drop it the first time around. Enough of that, time to move on.
Yay, here it is mid-August and I’m still working my way through the last of the last of the shows from the Spring of 2011. The good news is that I’m nearing the end, and then I can finally get around to checking out the shows from the Summer of 2011, which started up more than a month ago. Seems like it never ends!
- Videos and Previews:
- Additional Info Resources:
- Official United States Licensing Information:
- As far as I can tell, not officially available in the United States.
- A Sampling of the Blog-Roll of Reviews:
- “Man, I just love SYD. SYD allows my dirty side to come out without making me feel like a pervert. The anime itself is a dirty anime, so you can’t really blame one to act like a pervert, while watching this anime. It’s like letting one’s inner instinct to come out.” – Metanorn
- “I hope so because SYD is a great comedic series. I’m guessing you all think I’m some pervert who really enjoys sexual comedy, I can’t blame you if you find sexual comedy as indecent and wrong. I want to say that I’m not a pervert but I do enjoy many forms of comedy, sexual comedy is just one of them. We all have different tastes so it’s understandable if you like it or dislike it.” – Sekijitsu
- “There really isn’t any plot to the extra episode it’s just more slice of life adventures that are just filled with funny innuendo one liners and funny moments to keep you laughing and smiling the entire time your watching the episode.” – Hillbilly Otaku
SPRING 2011 ROUND ONE RESULTS!
- First Episodes from the Spring 2011 Season receiving a thumbs-up: Steins;Gate, Deadman Wonderland, Hanasaku Iroha, Dog Days, Moshidora, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, Tiger and Bunny, Fireball Charming, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, A Channel, Sengoku Otome: Time Paradox, Nichijou, Yondemasu-yo Azazel-san, C – The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, X-Men, Blue Exorcist, Kaiji Season 2, Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari
- First Episodes from the Spring 2011 Season receiving a thumbs-down: Sket Dance, Softenni, Happy Kappi, Astarotte’s Toy, Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera, Inazuma Eleven Go, Hidan no Aria, Suzy’s Zoo Daisuki Witzy, Seikon no Qwaser Season 2, The World God Only Knows Season 2, Toriko, Maria Holic Alive, 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku, Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai, Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream, Fairy Tail OVA, Plastic Nee-san, Yu-Gi-Oh: Zexal, Nana to Kaoru OVA, Shukufuku no Campanella OVA, Gintama, Tono to Issho: Gantai no Yabou, Hen Zemi, Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi, Honto ni Atta Reibai Sensei, Senjou no Valkyria 3, Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA
- Coming up next (in this order – 45 down, 10 to go!): Amagami SS OVA, Katte ni Kaizou, Digimon Xros Wars Second Season, Seibu Tetsudou Ekiin Tako-chan, Highschool of the Dead OVA, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt OVA, Detective Conan OVA 11, Kung Fu Cooking Girls, Appleseed XIII, Asobi ni Iku yo OVA