Amagami SS OVA Special
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! — I’m taking a look at the first episode of every show from the Spring 2011 anime season that has been subtitled, and giving it a thumbs-up or thumbs-down. For more information about me and my reviews, click here.
Series Premise: Amagami SS is a 26-episode anime series that aired in the summer and fall of 2010, based on a Playstation game. Amagami SS follows the love exploits of Junichi Tachibana, romantically paralyzed ever since being abandoned on a date before Christmas. This year, he vows to change as he sets his sights on one of the most popular girls in his school, Haruka Morishima. She seems to take a liking to him after she observes Junichi helping a freshman, as they repeatedly run into each other. Finally, he gets up the courage to confess to her, but she turns him down cold, leaving him to slink back home to hide in his closet. Yet, there are several other girls at school waiting in the wings, who appear to have taken an interest in him. There were two OVA specials included with the DVD release of the series, the first in April 2011.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: Boy eats ice-cream with girl; Boy sells cakes with girl; Boy opens present from girl; Uh…what’s the point of this?
Episode Summary: This Original Video Animation special is divided into three five-minute short stories. In the first story, Haruka orders a big embarrassing ice cream parfait at a cafe, and when Kaoru ends up serving it, she hides under the table. In the second story, Kaoru catches Junichi ogling her in a Santa suit, and ropes him into selling cakes for her. In the third story, Sae gives Junichi a Christmas present, which is a photo album of her dressed in various skimpy outfits.
My Reaction: I had already reviewed the first episode of Amagami SS a year ago, back in July 2010, when I gave it a thumbs-down. But it is one show that I did briefly consider giving a second chance — I had rejected it as being “boring as hell”, but that was after just one episode, and I did find the artwork quite attractive. So with this OVA special, it is the perfect opportunity for me to re-assess Amagami SS and give it another shot.
Unfortunately, for someone who is almost completely unfamiliar with the characters, it ended up being as boring as the first episode, and even more pointless. I am sure that if I knew more about the characters I would have more of an emotional investment in what happens to Junichi and Kaoru and Sae — after all, this is an OVA special directed to the dedicated fans. But as an outsider, this all seems rather pointless and uninteresting. Clearly this is not aimed at a non-fan such as myself, so perhaps it’s not fair for me to judge this at all, other than to say this does not endear me to want to go back and check out earlier episodes.
The other thing that sort of bothered me about this was the lack of real animation. Many of the scenes were nothing more than pan-and-scan static images with voice-overs. While well-drawn, it does get annoying after a while.
- Videos and Previews:
- Additional Info Resources:
- Official United States Licensing Information:
- Sentai Filmworks will be releasing the series on DVD later this year.
- A Sampling of the Blog-Roll of Reviews:
- “In the end, side stories are just side stories; they’re really only good in context with the actual heroine arcs in question. Otherwise, it’d be rather tough to understand the relationships and such in this OVA. Grade: 3.3/5.” – Emory Anime Club
- “Anyway, although it’s short, I really did enjoy this OVA. This is the Amagami SS I want. This is how Amagami SS should be: fun and entertaining. I just love how these girls, especially Morishima and Sae, do the unexpected.” – Metanorn
- “As we all know one of the things that made Amagami interesting is that Junichi’s characterization changed in each of the arcs, and he and Haruka are great together…The other two 5-minute shorts are eminently forgettable.” – Lost in America
SPRING 2011 ROUND ONE RESULTS!
- First Episodes from the Spring 2011 Season receiving a thumbs-up: Steins;Gate, Deadman Wonderland, Hanasaku Iroha, Dog Days, Moshidora, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, Tiger and Bunny, Fireball Charming, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, A Channel, Sengoku Otome: Time Paradox, Nichijou, Yondemasu-yo Azazel-san, C – The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, X-Men, Blue Exorcist, Kaiji Season 2, Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari
- First Episodes from the Spring 2011 Season receiving a thumbs-down: Sket Dance, Softenni, Happy Kappi, Astarotte’s Toy, Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera, Inazuma Eleven Go, Hidan no Aria, Suzy’s Zoo Daisuki Witzy, Seikon no Qwaser Season 2, The World God Only Knows Season 2, Toriko, Maria Holic Alive, 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku, Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai, Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream, Fairy Tail OVA, Plastic Nee-san, Yu-Gi-Oh: Zexal, Nana to Kaoru OVA, Shukufuku no Campanella OVA, Gintama, Tono to Issho: Gantai no Yabou, Hen Zemi, Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi, Honto ni Atta Reibai Sensei, Senjou no Valkyria 3, Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA, Amagami SS OVA
- Coming up next (in this order – 46 down, 9 to go!): Katte ni Kaizou, Digimon Xros Wars Second Season, Seibu Tetsudou Ekiin Tako-chan, Highschool of the Dead OVA, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt OVA, Detective Conan OVA 11, Kung Fu Cooking Girls, Appleseed XIII, Asobi ni Iku yo OVA