Tono to Issho: Gantai no Yabou Episode 1
What this is about: Watching all of the anime shows so you don’t have to! — I’m taking a look at the first episode of every show from the Spring 2011 anime season that has been subtitled, and giving it a thumbs-up or thumbs-down. For more information about me and my reviews, click here.
Series Premise: Tono to Issho: Gantai no Yabou is a weekly televised anime series that started in April, 2011, and it is a sequel to last year’s Tono to Issho series. With episodes about two minutes in length, the series takes important figures from Japan’s history and pokes fun at them.
Click on the thumbnails below to view the picture in full size in a new window:
ep. tl;dr review: Drunk warlord represents! Sequel just as un-funny as the original.
Episode Summary: Uesugi Kenshin was one of the meanest warlords of the sixteenth century…but according to Tono to Issho he was also a smashing drunkard. Much to the dismay of his vassals, he can’t keep his drinking under control, and ends up throwing fake gang signs at them, leaving them speechless. A flashback shows that he was just as much of a lush when he was a kid. The end.
My Reaction: Just how eye-stabbingly bad is Tono to Issho? So bad, it earned the #3 spot on my list of “Worst Anime of 2010”. Yet there are enough people out there that must like corny, pointless Japanese humor for an encore performance. With this first episode, instead of an exhaust, endless string of unfunny eyepatch jokes, we have a two-minute episode devoted to some fat guy who likes his sake. Alot.
Even at a couple minutes long, that’s a couple of minutes of my life I’ll never have back. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities to this show at all (even Star Crossed Anime Blog gave the original series a 27.5 rating out of 100, which I believe may be their lowest rating *ever*). One year later, it’s just as bad, everything I said before still applies. No need to go into in-depth review, this is flat-out terrible, don’t watch it.
- Videos and Previews:
- Additional Info Resources:
- Official United States Licensing Information:
- The Blog-Roll of Reviews:
- “Man, no one cares about this series at all….Gyah, I love this show and its gags so much. Grade: 7.8/10.” – Astrialite
- “Season 1 was terrible so I have no idea why there is another season of this…although I suppose there are a lot of characters in the Sengoku period to exploit….But still, its hard to believe how poorly written & animated this series is!” – Caraniel’s Ramblings
- “First at foremost it is important to note that the series has a lot of Japanese Humor. So you either get it or you don’t. Grade: 6/10.” – Kiramekuru
SPRING 2011 ROUND ONE RESULTS!
- First Episodes from the Spring 2011 Season receiving a thumbs-up: Steins;Gate, Deadman Wonderland, Hanasaku Iroha, Dog Days, Moshidora, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, Tiger and Bunny, Fireball Charming, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, A Channel, Sengoku Otome: Time Paradox, Nichijou, Yondemasu-yo Azazel-san, C – The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, X-Men, Blue Exorcist, Kaiji Season 2, Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari
- First Episodes from the Spring 2011 Season receiving a thumbs-down: Sket Dance, Softenni, Happy Kappi, Astarotte’s Toy, Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera, Inazuma Eleven Go, Hidan no Aria, Suzy’s Zoo Daisuki Witzy, Seikon no Qwaser Season 2, The World God Only Knows Season 2, Toriko, Maria Holic Alive, 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku, Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai, Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream, Fairy Tail OVA, Plastic Nee-san, Yu-Gi-Oh: Zexal, Nana to Kaoru OVA, Shukufuku no Campanella OVA, Gintama, Tono to Issho: Gantai no Yabou
- Coming up next (in this order – 40 down, 9 to go!): Hen Zemi, Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi, Senjou no Valkyria 3, Honto ni Atta Reibai Sensei, Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA, Amagami SS OVA, Katte ni Kaizou, Detective Conan OVA 11, Asobi ni Iku yo OVA